People who are statutorily obliged to enroll in MPF schemes:
Persons who are exempt from joining MPF schemes:
- People covered by statutory pension or provident fund schemes (such as civil servants and subsidized or grant school teachers);
- Members of occupational retirement schemes which are granted MPF exemption certificates;
- People who are covered by overseas retirement schemes or from overseas who enter Hong Kong for employment for less than 13 months;
- Self-employed hawkers;
- Employees of the European Union Office of the European Commission in Hong Kong;
- Domestic employees.
How to arrange a MPF scheme for employees working outside Hong Kong?
The relevant employees of a Hong Kong company working outside Hong Kong temporarily or for a limited period of time are covered by the MPF system.
| Responsibility: |
| Employer |
- Must enrol all the relevant employees in MPF schemes.
- In the construction or catering industries, an employer must also enrol casual employees in MPF schemes.
| Self-employed Person |
- A self-employed person must enrol in a MPF scheme within the first 60 days.